Focusing on fun but wearable looks with entirely Gluten Free Cosmetics.
UPDATE 5/2/2013: NARS has updated their gluten free status and is no longer gluten free. This look can still be recreated with Mirabella’s Gray Scale Magic Marker, which is safe.
Last week I got my hands on some NARS makeup so decided to play with it for this week’s look. I was randomly inspired by the colors and texture of sandstone, don’t ask me why. I haven’t even been around sandstone lately. 😕 But anyway, I really like how this turned out!
I actually ran across a Sephora the other day (gasp!) and they have NARS! NARS is gluten free, so I just had to run in there to get something to play with. Something about the smokey gray of the Koala liner I got really reminds me of sandstone cracks, so it was perfect to go with my “inspired by” look.
Prep your face with foundation and concealer. Fill in your brows and don’t be shy about it! Strong, dark brows help weight this look properly.
- With Monave’s Versatile Mineral Powder in Blizzard, cover your lid. Then with Red Apple Lipstick’s Brownie Points, shade in your crease firmly. Blend well.
- With a matte skin toned/light eyeshadow, highlight under your brows. Blend again.
At this point, I also grabbed Monave’s Silver and dusted it gently over my lid. I wanted to add a touch more mineral shimmer, as though the sun was hitting the sandstone just right. It looked lovely, but sadly you can’t really see it in the photos, it’s such a subtle step. Totally optional too- it looks great without it as well.
- Here’s the fun part! Create your very own cat eye with the NARS stylo. There are so many ways to do this it’s mind boggling, but here’s a few things you should keep in mind:
- Work at your own pace. Don’t rush this! It’s much easier to move slow and get it right than to rush through, mess up, remove it and fix it.
- Build the thickness of the line by going over it several times, starting at the lashes. Then later you’re free to clean up the top of the line and smooth it out without going too thick.
- Make sure the end of the cat eye points towards the end of your eyebrow
- At the risk of sounding trite, annoying and SO predictable, practice makes perfect! lol A steady hand, plenty of time and plenty of practice is the best recipe for success.
And there ‘ya have it!
Gluten Free Cosmetic Products Used:
Monave Versatile Mineral Powder Blizzard #71
Red Apple Lipstick’s Brownie Points
Red Apple Lipstick’s Porcelain
Monave Versatile Mineral Powder Silver #1
NARS Larger Than Life Volumizing Mascara
Mirabella’s Gray Scale Magic Marker